Cervical screening: Millions missing smear tests

in Dies ist ein Forum in der Kategorie 23.10.2018 07:40
von aatish023k • 2 Beiträge

About three million women across England have not had a smear test for at least three-and-a-half years.

GPs are trying to improve take-up rates as figures show up to half of women under 50 in some areas have not had a cervical screening in the recommended time frame.

Screening rates are at their lowest for two decades.

Public Health England said it was "concerned" by the fall.

A further million women aged 50 to 64 have not had a smear test for at least five and a half years.About 72% of women aged 25 to 64 have had a smear test within the period recommended for their age, according to figures compiled in March 2017.

This is down from 75.4% in 2012.

A total of 220,000 British women are diagnosed with cervical abnormalities each year and there were 854 deaths from cervical cancer in England in 2016.

Cervical screening detects abnormal cells on the entrance to the womb.
Samme Allen, from Kingston, says the manner of a nurse at a cervical screening she had aged 25 was "the opposite of reassuring".

It was 10 years before she had another one and the result led to a diagnosis of cervical cancer.

She subsequently had a hysterectomy and was given the all clear.

"I worked overseas and regularly moved, so I always seemed to avoid thinking about it," she said.

"I never had any symptoms for cervical cancer, and so didn't feel I needed to go to the doctor."

This continued for a decade until a nurse at a routine health check in 2010 told her she was overdue a screening.

Ms Allen, who works in marketing, said the test should be seen in a similar way to "going to the dentist or opticians". canon uk support

nach oben springen

Besucher
sarahbits, wrestlingonlinematches

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: wrestlingonlinematches
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 11606 Themen und 15553 Beiträge.